Connect with us
Slider

us news

New Zealand mosque shooter sentenced to life without parole

Published

on

A court in New Zealand has sentenced a self-confessed white supremacist who killed 51 Muslims as they prayed at two mosques in Christchurch to life imprisonment without parole, the first time such a sentence has been handed down in the country.

Brenton Tarrant, a 29-year-old Australian, pleaded guilty earlier this year to 51 charges of murder, 40 counts of attempted murder and one charge of committing a terrorist act during the March 2019 rampage in the southern city, which he livestreamed on Facebook.

In delivering the sentence, High Court Judge Cameron Mander said on Thursday that a finite term was insufficient for such a crime and that Tarrant had shown no remorse.

“Your crimes are so wicked that even if you are detained until you die it will not exhaust the requirements of punishment and denunciation,” Mander said.

“As far as I can discern, you are empty of any empathy for your victims.”

Prosecutors told the court at the opening of the sentencing hearing on Monday that Tarrant had been planning the attacks for a long time and wanted to create fear among immigrants.

The killer had been representing himself and said through a lawyer in court on Thursday that he did not oppose the sentence. Dressed in grey prison clothes and surrounded by guards, Tarrant did not react to the sentence.

“The hatred that lies at the heart of your hostility to particular members of the community that you came to this country to murder has no place here – it has no place anywhere,” Mander said.

Temel Atacocugu, who survived being shot nine times during the attack at the Al Noor mosque, said he felt relieved at the sentence.

“Finally we can breathe freely, and we feel secure, and my kids feel secure,” Atacocugu told The Associated Press news agency. “The justice system has locked up this ideology forever.”

Gamal Fouda, the imam of Al Noor Mosque, said that “no punishment would bring our loved ones back”, but was proud of New Zealand’s response to extremism.

“We respect our justice system and in New Zealand Muslim community, and the non-Muslim as well – we stood together against hate. And with it, our own model for the world. Extremists are all the same. Whether they use religions, nationalism or any other ideology,” he said.

“All extremists, they represent hate. but we are here today. We represent love, compassion, Muslim and non-Muslim people of faith and of no faith. That is us, New Zealanders, and we are very proud that we are Muslims in New Zealand and we’ll continue to serve this country, and no punishment again is going to bring our loved ones back.”

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said she was relieved “that person will never see the light of day”.

“The trauma of March 15 is not easily healed, but today I hope is the last where we have any cause to hear or utter the name of the terrorist behind it. His deserves to be a lifetime of complete and utter silence,” she said.

Ardern praised survivors and families of the victims who gave emotionally-charged statements in court this week, calling for Tarrant to be sentenced to life without parole.

“Nothing will take the pain away but I hope you felt the arms of New Zealand around you through this whole process, and I hope you continue to feel that through all the days that follow.”

Scott Morrison, the prime minister of Australia, also welcomed Tarrant’s sentencing.

“Justice was today delivered to the terrorist and murderer for his cowardly and horrific crimes in Christchurch. It is right that we wwill never see or hear from him again,” said Morrison.

The March 2019 attacks shocked New Zealand and prompted new laws banning the deadliest types of semi-automatic weapons. They also prompted global changes to social media protocols.

During the four-day sentencing hearing, 90 survivors and family members recounted the horror of the attacks and the trauma they continue to feel.

Some spoke to the gunman angrily, calling him a monster and a coward. Some recited verses from the Quran or addressed him in Arabic. A few spoke softly to Tarrant, saying they forgave him.

Sara Qasem spoke on Thursday about her beloved father Abdelfattah, who was killed in the attacks.

“All a daughter ever wants is her dad. I want to go on more road trips with him. I want to smell his garden-sourced cooking. His cologne,” she said. “I want to hear him tell me more about the olive trees in Palestine. I want to hear his voice. My dad’s voice. My Baba’s voice.”
Sources:AlJazeera

us news

A woman has been arrested in Sweden for locking her son in an apartment for 28 years

Published

on

Stockholm: A mother in Sweden has been arrested on suspicion of locking her son inside their apartment for 28 years, leaving him undernourished and with almost no teeth, police and media reports said Tuesday.

“The mother is suspected of illegal deprivation of liberty and causing bodily harm,” Stockholm police spokesman Ola Osterling told.

He said the man had been “locked up for a very long time” in the apartment in a southern Stockholm suburb, but would not comment on reports in dailies news that he had been held for 28 years.

The reports said the mother had pulled her son out of school when he was 12 and kept him locked inside the apartment since then.

An unnamed relative found the now 41-year-old man on Sunday after the mother, in her 70s, had been taken to hospital, news reported.

The man had infected sores on his legs, could barely walk, had almost no teeth and limited speech ability, the reports said.

Osterling would not comment on those details, saying only: “The man is in hospital. His injuries are not life-threatening.”

The mother has denied the crimes, the Swedish Prosecution Authority said.

‘Urine, dirt and dust’

Doctors at the hospital had alerted police to the case.

Police tape was stretched across the apartment’s door on Tuesday, and crime scene technicians were seen leaving the scene around midday, an AFP photographer said.

The apartment is located in a non-descript grey and yellow low-rise building in the working class suburb of Handen in Haninge municipality.

The unidentified relative who found the man said the apartment looked like it had not been cleaned in years.

“There was urine, dirt and dust. It smelled rotten,” she told Expressen, adding that she had to wade through piles of junk to get through the hallways.

“No one could have cleaned that home for many years.”

“I’m in shock, brokenhearted, but at the same time relieved. I’ve been waiting for this day for 20 years because I figured out that she was totally controlling his life, but I never imagined the extent of it,” she said.

“I knew he was there and that he must be scared because his mother was his only sense of security and now she was gone,” she added.

There was no immediate explanation for the mother’s alleged actions.

“She stole his life from him and manipulated the people around her in order to keep her secret,” the relative said.

“I’m just thankful that he got help and is going to survive.”

One unidentified neighbour, who lived in the same building, told Aftonbladet that she ran into the man at a nearby grocery store a few months ago.

“I know who you are, you’re my neighbour,” the man had told her, recognising her after having seen her through the window, she said.

‘How could no one have noticed?’

But most others in the neighbourhood told local media they hadn’t seen the man for years.

“They almost never went outside, never even opened the windows for fresh air. It’s been holed up,” another woman from the building told Aftonbladet.

Many neighbours wondered why neither social services, the school nor any other authority ever checked in on the boy over the years.

“And when we’ve had renovations done in the building, how can no one have noticed? Workmen have been here,” one woman told Aftonbladet.

Another woman said she occasionally ran into the mother.

“We talked about small stuff, like you do. Sometimes I asked about the boy, and she just said he was fine, she never really talked about him,” she said.

She however added that she found it odd that their window was never open, and the same candlestick had been in the window for 30 years.

“But what can you do? How do you know what’s going on behind closed doors? It’s all so awful, you can’t believe it’s true,” she said.

Continue Reading

us news

യേശുവിനെ തള്ളിപറയാഞ്ഞതിനു പാസ്റ്ററെയും രണ്ടു കുഞ്ഞുങ്ങളെയും ഉഗാണ്ടയിൽ സുവിശേഷവിരോധികൾ കൊലപ്പെടുത്തി

Published

on

കിബുക്കു: രാജ്യത്ത് നടന്ന ദാരുണമായ സംഭവം പാസ്റ്ററുടെയും രണ്ട് ക്രിസ്ത്യൻ കുട്ടികളുടെയും മരണത്തിലേക്ക് നയിച്ചു
പാസ്റ്ററുടെ ഒപ്പമുണ്ടായിരുന്ന ഇമ്മാനുവൽ ഹമുസ പറയുന്നതിങ്ങനെ: “നവംബർ 23 ന് അവരെ പാസ്റ്റരെ നേരിട്ടു. തന്റെ ക്രിസ്തീയ വിശ്വാസം ഉപേക്ഷിക്കണമെന്ന് അവർ ആവശ്യപ്പെട്ടു. പാസ്റ്റർ വിസമ്മതിച്ചതിനെത്തുടർന്ന്, സഹോദര-സഹോദരിമാരും പിതൃ അമ്മാവനും കിബുക്കു ജില്ലയിലെ വീടിന് പുറത്ത് പാസ്റ്റരെ ആക്രമിച്ചതായി മോണിംഗ് സ്റ്റാർ ന്യൂസ് റിപ്പോർട്ട് ചെയ്യുന്നു.

“ഞങ്ങളുടെ കുടുംബത്തിന് അപമാനമായ ഈ ക്രിസ്തീയ വിശ്വാസം നിങ്ങൾ ഉപേക്ഷിക്കണം” എന്ന് പറഞ്ഞ് അഞ്ച് കുടുംബാംഗങ്ങൾ അദ്ദേഹത്തെ തല്ലുകയും കുത്തുകയും ചെയ്തു, ഹമുസ വിശദീകരിച്ചു.

“അവരുടെ ആവശ്യത്തിന് വഴങ്ങാൻ ഞാൻ വിസമ്മതിച്ചു, അവർ എന്നോട് യുദ്ധം ചെയ്യാൻ തുടങ്ങി,” ഹമുസ പറഞ്ഞു. “മറ്റ് ആക്രമണകാരികൾ എന്റെ കുട്ടിയുടെ കഴുത്തിൽ കാലുകുത്തി നിൽക്കുമ്പോൾ ശ്വാസം മുട്ടി ദാരുണാവസ്ഥയിലായി.”
വൈദ്യസഹായം ലഭിക്കുന്നതിന് മുമ്പ് ഹമുസയുടെ ആറുവയസ്സുള്ള മകൻ മരിച്ചു. ഭാവിയിൽ കുറ്റവാളികളുടെ ആക്രമണത്തെ ഭയന്ന് ഭയാനകമായ സംഭവം പോലീസിനെ അറിയിച്ചിട്ടില്ല.

പാസ്റ്റർ വിൽസൺ നിവമന്യയും 12 വയസ്സുള്ള മകനും ഒരു ക്രിസ്ത്യൻ വിശ്വാസിയും നവംബർ 21 തീവ്രവാദികൾ അവരുടെ അടുത്തെത്തിയപ്പോൾ ഡെമോക്രാറ്റിക് റിപ്പബ്ലിക്ക് ഓഫ് കോംഗോയ്ക്ക് മതപരമായ രചനകൾ നൽകി,മൂർച്ചയേറിയ വസ്തുക്കളും സോമാലിയൻ വാളും ഉപയോഗിച്ച് തീവ്രവാദികൾ ആയുധധാരികളാണെന്ന് തൊഴിലാളി പറഞ്ഞു.

“ നമ്മുടെ മതത്തെ അവഹേളിച്ചതിന് ഈ മനുഷ്യൻ മരിക്കണം ”എന്ന് തൊഴിലാളി ഒരു മോർണിംഗ് സ്റ്റാർ ന്യൂസിനോട് പറഞ്ഞു. ആക്രമണകാരികൾ മൂർച്ചയേറിയ വസ്തുക്കളാൽ അടിച്ചുകൊണ്ടാണ് തുടങ്ങിയത്, തുടർന്ന് വാൾ ഉപയോഗിച്ച് കുട്ടിയെ വയറ്റിൽ കുത്തുകയായിരുന്നു. പാസ്റ്ററും ഞാനും ആക്രമണകാരികളുമായി പ്രതിരോധിക്കാൻ ശ്രമിക്കുന്നതിനിടയിലാണ് അദ്ദേഹം മരിച്ചത്” അദ്ദേഹം കൂട്ടിച്ചേർത്തു
അക്രമികൾ ഓടി രക്ഷപ്പെട്ടു, പാസ്റ്റർ നിവമന്യയെ കിസോറോയിലെ ഒരു മെഡിക്കൽ സൗകര്യത്തിലേക്ക് അതിവേഗം കൊണ്ടുപോയി. തലയ്ക്ക് പരിക്കേറ്റ അദ്ദേഹം നവംബർ 24 ന് മരിച്ചു.

Continue Reading

Subscribe

Enter your email address

Featured

us news14 hours ago

A woman has been arrested in Sweden for locking her son in an apartment for 28 years

Stockholm: A mother in Sweden has been arrested on suspicion of locking her son inside their apartment for 28 years,...

Media14 hours ago

Egyptian Village Tensions Worsen Towards Christians

Egypt – Following a mob attack by Islamic extremists against Egyptian Christians in the village of Barsha on November 25th,...

us news15 hours ago

യേശുവിനെ തള്ളിപറയാഞ്ഞതിനു പാസ്റ്ററെയും രണ്ടു കുഞ്ഞുങ്ങളെയും ഉഗാണ്ടയിൽ സുവിശേഷവിരോധികൾ കൊലപ്പെടുത്തി

കിബുക്കു: രാജ്യത്ത് നടന്ന ദാരുണമായ സംഭവം പാസ്റ്ററുടെയും രണ്ട് ക്രിസ്ത്യൻ കുട്ടികളുടെയും മരണത്തിലേക്ക് നയിച്ചു പാസ്റ്ററുടെ ഒപ്പമുണ്ടായിരുന്ന ഇമ്മാനുവൽ ഹമുസ പറയുന്നതിങ്ങനെ: “നവംബർ 23 ന് അവരെ...

Uncategorized15 hours ago

യുഎഇയിലെ വിവിധ പെന്തെക്കോസ്ത് സഭകളുടെ സംയുക്ത ആരാധനകൾക്ക് ഇന്ന് തുടക്കമാകുന്നു.

  ദുബായ്: യുഎഇയിലെ പ്രമുഖ പെന്തെക്കോസ്ത് സഭകളുടെ റീജിയൻ സംയുക്ക ആരാധനകൾക്ക് ഇന്ന് തുടക്കമാകുന്നു. ഐപിസി, എ.ജി. ചർച്ച് ഓഫ് ഗോഡ്, ശാരോൻ സഭകളുടെ സംയുക്ത ആരാധനകളാണ്...

Media15 hours ago

പ്രവാസികള്‍ക്ക് പോസ്റ്റല്‍ വോട്ടിന് അനുമതി നല്‍കാമെന്ന് തിരഞ്ഞെടുപ്പ് കമ്മിഷന്‍

കേരളം ഉള്‍പ്പടെ അടുത്ത വര്‍ഷം നടക്കുന്ന നിയമസഭാ തെരഞ്ഞെടുപ്പുകളില്‍ പ്രവാസി ഇന്ത്യക്കാര്‍ക്ക് ഇലക്ട്രോണിക് പോസ്റ്റല്‍ വോട്ട് ഏര്‍പ്പെടുത്താന്‍ തയ്യാറാണെന്ന് കേന്ദ്ര തെരഞ്ഞെടുപ്പ് കമ്മീഷന്‍.കേരളം, അസ്സം, വെസ്​റ്റ്​ ബംഗാള്‍,...

us news15 hours ago

Poison in wine distributed at funerals; 7 dead, 131 hospitalized after drinking fake wine in Cambodia

A batch of rice wine, adulterated with a toxic substance, has killed 7 people and hospitalised more than 131 others...

Trending