Connect with us

breaking news

More than 100 dead after cyclone hits Mozambique, Zimbabwe

Published

on

 

More than 100 people have died and many more are missing in Mozambique and neighbouring Zimbabwe on Sunday after tropical cyclone Idai barrelled across the southern African nations with flash floods and ferocious winds.

Authorities in Mozambique said the toll there had risen to 62 in the centre of the country, while Zimbabwe said 65 people were killed in affected eastern areas, after the cyclone tore across the region on Friday and Saturday.

Mozambique’s environment Minister Celso Correia gave AFP the country’s updated number of deaths in Beira and Dondo districts, but warned: “We will certainly end with a higher toll.”

“The biggest natural disaster Mozambique has ever faced. Everything is destroyed. Our priority now is to save human lives,” he said at Beira international airport, which re-opened Sunday after being temporarily closed because of cyclone damage.

Idai hit Mozambique first on Thursday night before moving to Zimbabwe.

In Zimbabwe, eastern Chimanimani district was the worst hit part of the country, where houses and bridges were washed away by flash floods when the storm slammed the area.

The most affected areas are not yet accessible, while high winds and dense clouds have hampered military rescue helicopter flights.

“So far we looking at 65 people that have lost their lives,” Joshua Sacco, lawmaker for Chimanimani, told AFP by phone, adding that between “150 to 200 people” are missing.

The majority of those unaccounted for are thought to be government workers, whose housing complex was completely engulfed by raging waters. Their fate is currently unknown because the area is still unreachable.

“We are very worried because all these houses were just suddenly submerged under water and literally washed away and that is where we have about 147 missing,” he said. “It’s very sad and the situation is dire.”

Two pupils at a secondary school in the area were among those killed, after a landslide sent a boulder crashing into their dormitory, the country’s civil protection agency said.

School pupils rescued

Soldiers on Sunday helped rescue nearly 200 pupils, teachers and staff who had been trapped at the school in Chimanimani.

The group had to wade through waterlogged and mud-churned roads for some 4 kilometres (2.5 miles) to reach a relief area, where they were given food and checked by medics, according to an AFP photographer.

Tents have been set up to provide shelter for those affected by the cyclone and scores of villagers have made their way to the relief area, some having trekked for up to 20 kilometres to reach safety.

Roads have been swallowed by massive sinkholes, while bridges were ripped to pieces by the flash floods, according to the AFP photographer.

The United Nations in Zimbabwe said that nearly 10,000 were affected by the cyclone.

Zimbabwe’s President Emmerson Mnangagwa, who cut short a visit to Abu Dhabi over the cyclone, has declared a state of disaster in the affected areas.

‘Worst disaster’

Idai battered central Mozambique on Friday, cutting off more than half a million residents of the port city Beira where the environment minister said 80 percent of the electricity network was destroyed.

“All roads are cut, the infrastructure is destroyed, practically everything is destroyed,” said Correia.

Beira international airport was briefly shut after the air traffic control tower and navigation equipment were partially destroyed by the cyclone. Flights began flying in on Sunday.

A significant part of the central region was “absolutely decimated by this cyclone, even larger than anticipated,” said Jamie LeSueur, the International Federation of Red Cross’s roving emergency operations manager for Africa after an aerial survey of the affected areas in Mozambique.

“It’s bad and there’s potential for it to get even worse,” he said as rain continued in Zimbabwe, “which could potentially lead to another flood,” said in Beira.

The World Food Programme (WFP) said its “projections indicate at-least 1.7 million people were in the direct path of the cyclone in Mozambique, and 920,000 people were affected in Malawi. Thousands more are potentially impacted by events in Zimbabwe where assessments are ongoing”.

Despite having part of its roof torn off, Beira airport was busy handling flights and relief agencies have are setting up operation hubs there.

One Portuguese software business company owner Luis Leonor, 49, flew in from Maputo after having contacted with his wife via satellite phone on Saturday.

“She is fine. My house is fine but there’s no more running water. I don’t know what I will find there,” he said. “My five employees lost their houses, they are staying at our offices.”

Even before the cyclone made landfall on Friday, heavy rains earlier this month had already claimed 66 lives in Mozambique and 56 in Malawi.

breaking news

Catholic leaders condemn Israeli violence at funeral of Palestinian-American journalist

Published

on

JERUSALEM — The top Catholic clergyman in the Holy Land on Monday condemned the police beating of mourners carrying the casket of Al Jazeera journalist Shireen Abu Akleh, accusing the authorities of violating human rights and disrespecting the Catholic Church.

Latin Patriarch Pierbattista Pizzaballa told reporters at St. Joseph Hospital in Jerusalem that Friday’s incident, broadcast around the world, was a “disproportionate use of force” to the Palestinian flag-waving crowd of thousands proceeding from the hospital to a nearby Catholic church in Jerusalem’s Old City. The attack drew worldwide condemnation and added to the shock and outrage of Abu Akleh’s killing as she covered a shootout in the occupied West Bank.

The police attack, Pizzaballa told reporters, “is a severe violation of international norms and regulations, including the fundamental human right of freedom of religion, which must be observed also in a public space.” He spoke as the leaders and clergy of other Christian churches sat nearby.

On May 16, the Justice and Peace Commission of the Latin Patriarchate released a statement—entitled “Bloodshed Follows Bloodshed,” taken from a line in the book of Hosea—decrying the attacks.

“We mourn all the victims of this unending bloodshed, Jewish Israelis, Palestinian Arabs and others who have died,” the statement read. “We continue to cry out that violence is wrong and will not bring a solution but only more violence.”

“It needs to be repeated with unequivocal clarity: the root cause and primary context of the violence is the occupation of Palestine, an occupation that has gone on for fifty-five years,” it went on to say.

Israel and the Palestinians are locked in a war of narratives over Abu Akleh’s killing. The reporter, a Palestinian-American, a Catholic and a 25-year veteran of the satellite channel, was shot Wednesday while covering an Israeli military raid in the Jenin refugee camp. She was wearing a blue vest clearly marked “Press.” Abu Akleh was a household name across the Arab world, known for documenting the hardship of Palestinian life under Israeli rule.

Palestinian officials and witnesses, including journalists who were with her, say she was killed by army fire. The military, after initially saying Palestinian gunmen might have been responsible, later backtracked and now says it’s not clear who fired the deadly bullet.

The funeral violence caused another international uproar, with the United States and the United Nations among Israel’s critics.

Israeli police have claimed that they agreed with funeral arrangements ahead of time with Abu Akleh’s family, and that a crowd of mourners violated that agreement by marching with the coffin, instead of driving with it, and shouting nationalistic slogans.

But Abu Akleh’s brother, Anton, disputed those claims. He said Monday that the family had given the funeral arrangements to Israeli police, and said the police did not want slogans or Palestinian flags. But he said “this is something we cannot control.”

Anton, who was one of the pallbearers, said police also wanted to know the funeral route, and there was no other agreement. “We wanted to put the coffin in the car,” he said. “We were going to the car when they attacked us.”

Israeli police launched an investigation into the conduct of the officers who attacked the mourners, causing the pallbearers to nearly drop the casket.

Meanwhile, Israel and the Palestinians have continued to argue over the investigation into the shooting.

Israel has sought the bullet, saying it must be analyzed by ballistics experts to reach firm conclusions. Palestinian officials have refused, saying they don’t trust Israel. Human rights groups say Israel has a poor record of investigating wrongdoing by its security forces.

After earlier saying they would accept an outside partner, the Palestinians said late Sunday that they would handle the investigation alone and deliver results very soon.

“We also refused to have an international investigation because we trust our capabilities as a security institution,” Prime Minister Mohammed Shtayyeh announced. “We will not hand over any of the evidence to anyone because we know that these people are able to falsify the facts.”

Amid the wrangling, several research and human rights groups have launched their own investigations.

Bellingcat, a Dutch-based international consortium of researchers, published an analysis of video and audio evidence gathered on social media. The material came from both Palestinian and Israeli military sources, and the analysis looked at such factors as time stamps, the locations of the videos, shadows and a forensic audio analysis of gunshots.

The group found that while gunmen and Israeli soldiers were both in the area, the evidence supported witness accounts that Israeli fire killed Abu Akleh.

“Based on what we were able to review, the IDF Israeli soldiers were in the closest position and had the clearest line of sight to Abu Akleh,” said Giancarlo Fiorella, the lead researcher of the analysis.

Fiorella acknowledged that the analysis cannot be 100 percent certain without such evidence as the bullet, weapons used by the army and GPS locations of Israeli forces. But he said the emergence of additional evidence typically bolsters preliminary conclusions and almost never overturns them.
http://theendtimeradio.com

Continue Reading

breaking news

യുക്രൈനിൽ നിന്ന് തിരികെയെത്തിയ വിദ്യാർഥികൾക്ക് ഇന്ത്യയിൽ പഠനം തുടരാനാകില്ലെന്ന് കേന്ദ്രം

Published

on

യുക്രൈനിൽ നിന്നും നാട്ടിലെത്തിയ വിദ്യാർഥികൾക്ക് ഇന്ത്യയിൽ പഠനം തുടരാനാകില്ലെന്ന് കേന്ദ്ര സർക്കാർ. വിദ്യാർഥികൾക്ക് മെഡിക്കൽ കോളജുകളിൽ പഠനം അനുവദിച്ച ബംഗാൾ സർക്കാരിന്റെ നീക്കം കേന്ദ്രസർക്കാർ തടഞ്ഞു. വിദേശത്ത് പഠനം നടത്തുന്നവർക്ക് ഇന്ത്യയിൽ തുടർ പഠനം അനുവദിക്കാനാകില്ലെന്നും മെഡിക്കൽ കൗൺസിൽ ചട്ടം ഇത് അനുവദിക്കുന്നില്ലെന്നും കേന്ദ്രസർക്കാർ വ്യക്തമാക്കി.

യുക്രൈൻ യുദ്ധത്തിന് പിന്നാലെ മലയാളികൾ അടക്കം ആയിരക്കണക്കിന് വിദ്യാർഥികളാണ് ഇന്ത്യയിലേക്ക് മടങ്ങിയെത്തിയത്. ഇവരിൽ ഭൂരിപക്ഷവും മെഡിക്കൽ, ദന്തൽ വിദ്യാർഥികളാണ്. തുടർ പഠനത്തിനായി സർക്കാർ ഇടപെടൽ വേണമെന്ന് രക്ഷിതാക്കളും വിദ്യാർഥികളും ആവശ്യപ്പെട്ടിരുന്നു.

ലക്ഷങ്ങൾ വായ്പയെടുത്താണ് വിദ്യാർഥികളിൽ പലരും പഠനത്തിനായി യുക്രൈനിലേക്ക് പോയത്. യുദ്ധഭൂമിയിലേക്ക് ഇനി മടങ്ങാൻ സാഹചര്യമില്ലെന്നും രാജ്യത്തെ കോളജുകളിൽ പഠിക്കാൻ അവസരം നൽകണമെന്നുമാണ് വിദ്യാർഥികളുടെ ആവശ്യം.
Sources:Metro Journal

http://theendtimeradio.com

Continue Reading

breaking news

ചുഴലിക്കാറ്റ്; തീരത്തടിഞ്ഞ് സ്വർണ്ണ നിറമുള്ള തേര്

Published

on

 

ചുഴലിക്കാറ്റിൽ ആന്ധ്രാ തീരത്തടിഞ്ഞ് സ്വർണ്ണ നിറത്തിലുള്ള രഥം. മ്യാൻമർ, മലേഷ്യ, തായ്‌ലൻഡ് എന്നിവിടങ്ങളിൽ നിന്നാവാൻ സാധ്യതയുള്ള സ്വർണ്ണ നിറത്തിലുള്ള രഥം ആന്ധ്രാപ്രദേശിലെ ശ്രീകാകുളം ജില്ലയിലെ സുന്നപ്പള്ളി തീരത്താണ് ചൊവ്വാഴ്ച വൈകുന്നേരം കണ്ടെത്തിയത്. രഥം ഗ്രാമവാസികൾ കെട്ടി കരയ്‌ക്കെത്തിച്ചിട്ടുണ്ട്.

തെക്കുകിഴക്കൻ ഏഷ്യൻ രാജ്യങ്ങളിൽ നിന്നുള്ള ഒരു ആശ്രമത്തിന്റെ രൂപവുമായി രഥത്തിന് സാമ്യമുണ്ട്. അസനി ചുഴലിക്കാറ്റിന്റെ ആഘാതത്തിൽ രഥം ആന്ധ്രാപ്രദേശത്തെ തീരത്തേക്ക് നീങ്ങിയതായി സംശയിക്കുന്നു. ചുഴലിക്കാറ്റിന്റെ ആഘാതത്തിൽ ഉയർന്ന വേലിയേറ്റം കാരണം രഥം തീരത്തേക്ക് ഒലിച്ചുപോയതാകാമെന്ന് പ്രാദേശിക നാവികർ പറഞ്ഞു. അയൽ ഗ്രാമങ്ങളിൽ നിന്ന് നിരവധി ആളുകൾ സ്വർണ്ണ രഥം കാണാൻ കരയിലേക്ക് ഒഴുകിയെത്തി.

തെക്കൻ ആൻഡമാൻ കടലിന് മുകളിൽ ആദ്യമായി ന്യൂനമർദം രൂപപ്പെട്ടതിനാൽ, മ്യാൻമർ, തായ്‌ലൻഡ്, മലേഷ്യ, ഇന്തോനേഷ്യ തുടങ്ങിയ ആൻഡമാൻ കടലിനോട് ചേർന്നുള്ള രാജ്യങ്ങളിൽ നിന്നുള്ള തിരമാലകൾ രഥം കൊണ്ടുവന്നിരിക്കാം. എന്നാൽ, ഇത് ഏതെങ്കിലും വിദേശ രാജ്യത്ത് നിന്ന് വന്നതല്ലെന്ന് ശാന്തബൊമ്മാലി തഹസിൽദാർ ജെ ചലമയ്യ പറഞ്ഞു.

ഇന്ത്യൻ തീരത്ത് എവിടെയെങ്കിലും സിനിമയുടെ ചിത്രീകരണത്തിന് രഥം ഉപയോഗിച്ചിരുന്നതായി സംശയിക്കുന്നു. ആൻഡമാൻ കടലിനോട് ചേർന്നുള്ള പ്രദേശത്ത് നിന്നും രഥം കടൽ കൊണ്ട് വന്നതായിരിക്കാമെന്നും അദ്ദേഹം പറഞ്ഞു.


Sources:Metro Journal

http://theendtimeradio.com

Continue Reading

Latest News

Travel14 hours ago

സ്‌കൂള്‍ വാഹനങ്ങള്‍ക്ക് മാര്‍ഗ്ഗരേഖ: ഡ്രൈവര്‍മാര്‍ക്ക് വെള്ള ഷര്‍ട്ടും കറുത്തപാൻ്റും യൂണീഫോം

വിദ്യാഭ്യാസ സ്ഥാപനങ്ങളിലെ സ്‌കൂൾ ബസുകൾക്കും മറ്റ് വാഹനങ്ങൾക്കും വേണ്ട മാർഗനിർദ്ദേശങ്ങൾ പുറത്തിറക്കി മോട്ടോർ വാഹന വകുപ്പ്. കുട്ടികളെ നിന്ന് യാത്രചെയ്യാൻ അനുവദിക്കില്ല. സ്‌കൂൾ മേഖലയിൽ 30 കിലോമീ‌റ്ററും...

National14 hours ago

ചര്‍ച്ചുകള്‍ പൊളിക്കണമെന്ന ആഹ്വാനവുമായി ശ്രീരാമസേന നേതാവ്

മൈസൂരു: കര്‍ണാടകയിലെ 500 അനധികൃത ക്രിസ്ത്യന്‍ ചര്‍ച്ചുകളുടെ ലിസ്റ്റ് തങ്ങളുടെ പക്കലുണ്ടെന്നും അത് ബുള്‍ഡോസര്‍ ഉപയോഗിച്ച് തകര്‍ക്കണമെന്നും തൂവ്രഹിന്ദുത്വ സംഘടനയായ ശ്രീരാമസേനയുടെ നേതാവ് പ്രമോദ് മുത്തലിക്. ബിജെപി...

world news15 hours ago

Pakistan Christian’s Spurn Rally for Khan

Pakistan – Last weekend, a rally was to be held in support of former Prime Minister Imran Khan in the...

National15 hours ago

പാസ്റ്റർ കുര്യാക്കോസിനും കുടുംബത്തിനും വേണ്ടി ദൈവമക്കൾ അടിയന്തിരമായി പ്രാർത്ഥിക്കുക.

കൊടഗ് : കർണാടകയിലെ കൊടഗ് ജില്ലയിലെ കുട്ട അതിർത്തിയിലെ പൂജകൽ ഗ്രാമത്തിത്തിനടുത്തുള്ള വയനാട് ജില്ലയിലെ തോൽപട്ടിയിൽ താമസിച്ച് സുവിശേഷ പ്രവർത്തനം ചെയ്ത് വരുന്ന പ്രിയ കർത്തൃദാസൻ പാസ്റ്റർ...

us news15 hours ago

വാഷിങ്ടണിലെ അഫ്ഗാന്‍ എംബസിയുടെ നിയന്ത്രണം യുഎസ് ഏറ്റെടുത്തു

അഫ്ഗാനിസ്ഥാന്റെ വാഷിങ്ടണിലെ എംബസിയുടേയും ന്യൂയോര്‍ക്ക്, കാലിഫോര്‍ണിയ. ബെവേര്‍ലി ഹില്‍സ് എന്നിവിടങ്ങളിലെ കോണ്‍സുലേറ്റുകളുടെയും നിയന്ത്രണം ഏറ്റെടുത്തതായി യുഎസ് സ്റ്റേറ്റ് ഡിപ്പാര്‍ട്ട്മെന്റ്. എംബസിയുടേയും കോണ്‍സുലേറ്റുകളുടെയും സുരക്ഷാ ചുമതല ഏറ്റെടുക്കുന്നതായും തങ്ങളുടെ...

world news16 hours ago

“യേശുവിനെ നിഷേധിക്കുന്നതിനേക്കാള്‍ തൂക്കുമരണമാണ് എനിക്കിഷ്ടം”: വ്യാജ മതനിന്ദ കേസില്‍ 8 വര്‍ഷം ജയിലില്‍ കഴിഞ്ഞതിന് ശേഷം മോചിതയായ പാക്ക് വനിത

ലാഹോര്‍; എന്തൊക്കെ ഭീഷണികളും, പീഡനങ്ങളും നേരിടേണ്ടി വന്നാല്‍പ്പോലും യേശു ക്രിസ്തുവിലുള്ള തന്റെ വിശ്വാസം ഒരിക്കലും ഉപേക്ഷിക്കില്ലെന്ന് വ്യാജമതനിന്ദയുടെ പേരില്‍ 8 വര്‍ഷങ്ങളായി വധശിക്ഷയും കാത്ത് പാക്കിസ്ഥാനിലെ ജയിലില്‍...

breaking news16 hours ago

Catholic leaders condemn Israeli violence at funeral of Palestinian-American journalist

JERUSALEM — The top Catholic clergyman in the Holy Land on Monday condemned the police beating of mourners carrying the...

world news16 hours ago

ക്രിസ്ത്യന്‍ വിദ്യാര്‍ത്ഥിനിയെ കല്ലെറിഞ്ഞു കൊലപ്പെടുത്തി ചുട്ടെരിച്ച സംഭവം: നീതി ലഭിക്കണമെന്ന് നൈജീരിയയിലെ ബ്രിട്ടീഷ് ഹൈക്കമ്മീഷണര്‍

സൊകോട്ടോ: ആഫ്രിക്കന്‍ രാജ്യമായ നൈജീരിയയില്‍ മതനിന്ദ ആരോപിച്ച് ക്രിസ്ത്യന്‍ വിദ്യാര്‍ത്ഥിനിയായ ദെബോറ സാമുവല്‍ യാക്കുബുവിനെ മതഭ്രാന്ത്‌ തലയ്ക്കുപിടിച്ച സഹപാഠികള്‍ കല്ലെറിഞ്ഞും, വടികൊണ്ട് മര്‍ദ്ദിച്ചും ക്രൂരമായി കൊലപ്പെടുത്തിയ ശേഷം...

National2 days ago

Indian Authorities Demand Pastors Cease Religious Activities

India – Last week, authorities in the Basti district of Uttar Pradesh summoned several Pastors to the police station. The...

world news2 days ago

ICC Supports a Café to Reach Muslims with the Gospel

Indonesia – Rita* and Zairus* are two field workers who felt called by God to serve in a remote area...

breaking news2 days ago

യുക്രൈനിൽ നിന്ന് തിരികെയെത്തിയ വിദ്യാർഥികൾക്ക് ഇന്ത്യയിൽ പഠനം തുടരാനാകില്ലെന്ന് കേന്ദ്രം

യുക്രൈനിൽ നിന്നും നാട്ടിലെത്തിയ വിദ്യാർഥികൾക്ക് ഇന്ത്യയിൽ പഠനം തുടരാനാകില്ലെന്ന് കേന്ദ്ര സർക്കാർ. വിദ്യാർഥികൾക്ക് മെഡിക്കൽ കോളജുകളിൽ പഠനം അനുവദിച്ച ബംഗാൾ സർക്കാരിന്റെ നീക്കം കേന്ദ്രസർക്കാർ തടഞ്ഞു. വിദേശത്ത്...

Tech2 days ago

ഗ്രൂപ്പിൽ നിന്ന് ഇനി ‘ലെഫ്റ്റാകാം’, ആരും അറിയാതെ

വാട്സപ് ഗ്രൂപ്പിൽ നിന്ന് എക്സിറ്റ് ആയാൽ ഗ്രൂപ്പിലുള്ളവരെല്ലാം അറിയുമെന്ന പേടി ഇനി വേണ്ട. പുതിയ ഫീച്ചർ വരുന്നതോടെ ഗ്രൂപ്പിൽ നിന്ന് ആരുമറിയാതെ ഇറങ്ങിപോകാൻ സാധിച്ചേക്കും. മെറ്റാ ഉടമസ്ഥതയിലുള്ള...

Trending