Connect with us

us news

Harvard, MIT sue Trump government over expulsion of foreign students

Published

on

Harvard University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology sued the Trump administration Wednesday over an order that would require international students to take classes in person this fall, despite rising coronavirus caseloads that are complicating efforts by colleges and universities to offer in-person learning.

The lawsuit represented a swift response to an unexpected order issued this week by the federal government, as universities rush to protect the status of thousands of international students. It also marks a new battle line in the war between President Trump and education leaders over how to safely reopen schools in the midst of his reelection bid.

“We will pursue this case vigorously so that our international students — and international students at institutions across the country — can continue their studies without the threat of deportation,” Harvard’s president, Lawrence S. Bacow, told the Harvard community Wednesday.

On Wednesday, Northeastern University in Massachusetts joined the suit, with Joseph E. Aoun, the school’s president, saying the new guidance “creates chaos for international students and has the effect of weakening American higher education — one of our nation’s signature strengths.”

On Monday, the federal Student and Exchange Visitor Program announced that visas would not be issued to students enrolled in schools that are fully online this fall. Under the rule, those students would be barred from entering the country. And to keep their visas, students already in the United States would need to leave the country or transfer to a school with in-person instruction.

The rule has not been published yet, but the guidance issued Monday stunned university officials and panicked students. Though international students were previously required to take classes in person, the government had offered schools and students flexibility this spring, after the pandemic shut down most campuses. And it had said that the new guidance would remain in effect for the duration of the emergency.

So as university officials worked to finalize fall plans, many assumed that their international students would be allowed in the country even if they weren’t in the classroom. With cases rising across the country, most colleges are at least prepared to switch to fully virtual instruction if needed. Others, including Harvard and the sprawling California State University System, have already announced plans to offer little to no in-person instruction.

Harvard has about 5,000 international students, and MIT 4,000. In their lawsuit, the universities argue that U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s decision was designed to force universities to conduct in-person classes, part of an apparent political strategy from the Trump administration to pressure schools, from kindergarten to graduate school, to fully reopen this fall, even as virus cases soar.

The lawsuit, filed in the U.S. District Court in Massachusetts, seeks a temporary restraining order that would quickly stop the government from enforcing the policy. The schools argue that the rule violates the Administrative Procedure Act, which governs rulemaking by federal agencies.

The Department of Homeland Security did not immediately respond to requests for comment. Carissa Cutrell, a spokeswoman for ICE, said the agency “is unable to provide further comment due to pending litigation.”

The lawsuit cites remarks from acting deputy secretary of homeland security Ken Cuccinelli on Tuesday, in which he said the directive “will … encourage schools to reopen.”

The decision also reflects the administration’s continued efforts to limit and reduce the presence of international students in the country, the lawsuit argues.

The Trump administration contends the new policy will provide more flexibility for colleges and universities. Cuccinelli indicated Tuesday that international students could remain in the United States as long as they receive at least some face-to-face instruction.

“Anything short of 100 percent online classes,” he told  an interview. Cuccinelli denied that the administration was seeking to “force” universities to offer in-person teaching. But he acknowledged that the administration wants to spur movement in that direction. “This is now setting the rules for one semester, which we’ll finalize later this month that will, again, encourage schools to reopen,” he told.

The ICE ruling frightened international students, who worried they risked deportation if their schools were not providing classes in person.

“That’s horrifying — I couldn’t sleep,” said Mita Rawal, who’s studying pharmacology at the University of Georgia. “It’s not just me, it’s my son, he goes to school here. If I had to pack up my bags and go to Nepal,” she said, and then broke off.

She had already been through a tumultuous spring and summer, with a sudden need for a computer for her own studies and a secondhand laptop for her 5-year-old son’s schooling, paid for with the help of an emergency grant from a nonprofit. Her dissertation was put on hold, and she was unable to travel home for the summer.

And then news broke from ICE. “I had not anticipated in my wildest dreams that I would be in this situation,” she said.

Outraged faculty are mobilizing to defend international students. Some are brainstorming ways to work around the administration’s policy, creating makeshift classes for international students.

Dana R. Fisher, a sociology professor at the University of Maryland at College Park, said she woke up Wednesday to 25 emails from terrified students. She had fielded even more frantic emails the day before. On Twitter, she offered an independent-study course to any student who needs to take an in-person class this semester. Dozens are interested, she said.

us news

ജൂലൈ 1 മുതല്‍ ബൈബിള്‍ ടെന്നസ്സി സംസ്ഥാനത്തിന്റെ ഔദ്യോഗിക ഗ്രന്ഥം

Published

on

ടെന്നസ്സി: അമേരിക്കയിലെ ഇംഗ്ലീഷ് ഭാഷയിലുള്ള ബൈബിൾ ജൂലൈ 1 മുതല്‍ ടെന്നസ്സി സംസ്ഥാനത്തിന്റെ ഔദ്യോഗിക ഗ്രന്ഥമായി അറിയപ്പെടും. ഇക്കഴിഞ്ഞ ചൊവ്വാഴ്ച റിപ്പബ്ലിക്കൻ ഗവർണർ ബിൽ ലീ ബില്ലിൽ ഒപ്പുവച്ചു. ഫിലാഡൽഫിയ പ്രിൻ്ററായ റോബർട്ട് എയ്റ്റ്‌കെൻ പ്രസിദ്ധീകരിച്ച ബൈബിൾ പരിഭാഷയ്ക്ക് കോൺഗ്രസിൽ നിന്ന് ഔദ്യോഗിക അംഗീകാരം നല്‍കിയതിനെ തുടര്‍ന്നാണ് സംസ്ഥാനത്തിന്റെ ഔദ്യോഗിക ഗ്രന്ഥമായി പ്രഖ്യാപിച്ചിരിക്കുന്നത്. ടെന്നസ്സി ഹൗസിലെയും സെനറ്റിലെയും ഭൂരിപക്ഷമുള്ള റിപ്പബ്ലിക്കൻ പ്രതിനിധികളില്‍ നിന്ന് നിയമനിർമ്മാണത്തിന് ശക്തമായ പിന്തുണ ലഭിച്ചിരിന്നു.

2021-ല്‍ വിശുദ്ധ ബൈബിളിനെ ടെന്നസ്സി സംസ്ഥാനത്തിന്റെ ഔദ്യോഗിക ഗ്രന്ഥമാക്കുന്ന പ്രമേയം ടെന്നസ്സി പ്രതിനിധി സഭയിലെ റിപ്പബ്ലിക്കന്‍ പ്രതിനിധിയായ ജെറി സെക്സടനാണ് ആദ്യമായി അവതരിപ്പിക്കുന്നത്. ജെറി സെക്സടണ്‍ അവതരിപ്പിച്ച ‘ഹൗസ് ജോയന്റ് റെസിലൂഷ്യന്‍ 150’ എന്ന പ്രമേയം ഇരുപത്തിയെട്ടിനെതിരെ അന്‍പത്തിയഞ്ചു വോട്ടുകള്‍ക്കു അന്ന് വോട്ടെടുപ്പില്‍ പാസ്സായിരിന്നു. തോമസ് നെല്‍സന്‍, ഗിദിയോന്‍സ് ഇന്റര്‍നാഷണല്‍, യുണൈറ്റഡ് മെത്തഡിസ്റ്റ് പബ്ലിഷിംഗ് ഹൗസ് തുടങ്ങി പ്രമുഖ ബൈബിള്‍ പ്രസാധക കമ്പനികള്‍ ടെന്നസ്സിയിലെ നാഷ്‌വില്ലേ ആസ്ഥാനമായാണ് പ്രവര്‍ത്തിക്കുന്നത്.
കടപ്പാട് :പ്രവാചക ശബ്ദം

http://theendtimeradio.com

Continue Reading

us news

‘നീ എന്റെ മകനാണ്, നിന്നോട് ക്ഷമിക്കുന്നു, നിനക്കായി പ്രാര്‍ത്ഥിക്കുന്നു”; കുത്തി പരിക്കേല്‍പ്പിച്ച പ്രതിയോട് നിരുപാധികം ക്ഷമിച്ച് ബിഷപ്പ് മാര്‍ ഇമ്മാനുവേല്‍

Published

on

സിഡ്നി: ഓസ്ട്രേലിയയിലെ സിഡ്നിയില്‍ കത്തിയാക്രമണത്തിനു ഇരയായ അസീറിയൻ ഓർത്തഡോക്സ് ബിഷപ്പും പ്രശസ്ത വചനപ്രഘോഷകനുമായ മാർ മാരി ഇമ്മാനുവേലിന്റെ ശബ്ദ സന്ദേശം പുറത്ത്. ക്രൈസ്റ്റ് ദ ഗുഡ് ഷെപ്പേഡ് ദേവാലയത്തിന്റെ ഔദ്യോഗിക യൂട്യൂബ് ചാനലിലൂടെ പുറത്തുവിട്ട ഓഡിയോ സന്ദേശത്തില്‍ തന്നെ ആക്രമിച്ച യുവാവിനോട് നിരുപാധികം ക്ഷമിക്കുകയാണെന്ന് ബിഷപ്പ് മാര്‍ മാരി പറഞ്ഞു. അക്രമം നടത്താന്‍ അയച്ചവരോടും യേശുവിന്റെ നാമത്തില്‍ ക്ഷമിക്കുകയാണെന്നും ബിഷപ്പ് കൂട്ടിച്ചേര്‍ത്തു.

ഈ പ്രവര്‍ത്തി ചെയ്തവരോട് ഞാൻ ക്ഷമിക്കുന്നു. ഞാൻ അവനോട് പറയുന്നു- “നീ എൻ്റെ മകനാണ്. ഞാൻ നിന്നെ സ്നേഹിക്കുന്നു, എപ്പോഴും നിനക്ക് വേണ്ടി പ്രാർത്ഥിക്കും”. ഇതു ചെയ്യാൻ നിങ്ങളെ അയച്ചവർ ആരായാലും യേശുവിൻ്റെ മഹത്തായ നാമത്തിൽ ഞാൻ അവരോടും ക്ഷമിക്കുന്നു. എല്ലാവരോടും സ്നേഹമല്ലാതെ മറ്റൊന്നും എൻ്റെ മനസ്സിലില്ല. കർത്താവായ യേശു ഒരിക്കലും നമ്മെ യുദ്ധം ചെയ്യാനോ പ്രതികാരം ചെയ്യാനോ നമ്മെ പഠിപ്പിച്ചിട്ടില്ലായെന്നും പരസ്പരം പ്രാര്‍ത്ഥിക്കാമെന്നും മാർ മാരി ഇമ്മാനുവേല്‍ പറഞ്ഞു.

ഇക്കഴിഞ്ഞ തിങ്കളാഴ്ചയാണ് സിഡ്നിയിൽനിന്ന് 30 കിലോമീറ്ററോളം അകലെയുള്ള വാക്ക്‌ലെയിലെ ക്രൈസ്റ്റ് ദ ഗുഡ് ഷെപ്പേഡ് ദേവാലയത്തില്‍ ബിഷപ്പിന് നേരെ കത്തിയുമായി അക്രമി പാഞ്ഞെടുത്തത്. ബിഷപ്പ് ബൈബിൾ ക്ലാസ് എടുത്തുകൊണ്ടിരിക്കേ അക്രമി അൾത്താരയിൽ കയറി ശിരസിനു നേർക്ക് പലവട്ടം കുത്തുകയായിരുന്നു. വിശ്വാസികളുടെ സമയോചിത ഇടപെടലില്‍ പ്രതിയെ ഉടന്‍ കീഴ്പ്പെടുത്താന്‍ കഴിഞ്ഞിരിന്നു. സംഭവത്തിന് പിന്നാലെ ഭീകരാക്രമണമെന്ന് സിഡ്‌നി പോലീസ് വെളിപ്പെടുത്തി. ആക്രമണത്തിനു പിന്നിൽ മതതീവ്രവാദമെന്ന് ന്യൂ സൗത്ത് വെയ്‌ൽസ് പോലീസ് കമ്മീഷണർ കാരെൻ വെബ് ഇക്കഴിഞ്ഞ ദിവസം പറഞ്ഞിരിന്നു.

കടപ്പാട് :പ്രവാചക ശബ്ദം

http://theendtimeradio.com

Continue Reading

us news

12,000 Souls Baptized in France Reporting ‘a Personal Encounter with Christ’

Published

on

More than 12,000 people were baptized in France on Easter Sunday – a record number for the country where about 50% of the people say they do not believe in God.

The French Bishops Conference reports that despite the acceleration of “de-Christianization,” there has been a rise in requests for baptism in the Catholic Church within the last 10 years.

During an Easter service, 7,135 adults were baptized and more than 5,000 teenagers aged 11 to 17 were baptized, according to America Magazine.

The report explains that 31% more people were baptized this year than last year and that the number of adults, 18-25 years old, rose from 23% to 36% in the last year.

“In today’s French society, 80% of young people have not received any religious education,” Father Vincent Breynaert, director of the National Youth and Vocations Service, explained in the report presented on March 27. “They have very few preconceived ideas about the Church. What those asking for baptism have in common is that they had a spiritual experience and a personal encounter with Christ.”

The report also outlines that the requests for baptism are noticeable in bigger cities.

In Paris, there was a 27% increase from 2023 to 2024.

When it comes to demographics, those who are requesting to be baptized are more surprisingly “from families without religion.”

Around 5% of newly baptized Christians come from Muslim families.

“It is very surprising to see the often totally unexpected path taken by those who ask to be baptized,” said Bishop Olivier Leborgne of Arras, president of the Council for Catechesis and the Catechumenate, who added what is taking place is happening on a “bewildering scale.”

Catholic leaders in the country attested that “the Lord has decided to take the lead,” because the increase in baptisms cannot be explained otherwise.

Bishop Leborgne reports that Easter night in France this year was “particularly festive in many Catholic communities.”

“In a rapidly changing world, often disorientated, and a Church that is no less so, it could be that the Lord has decided to take the lead,” he shared.
Sources:cbn

http://theendtimeradio.com

Continue Reading
Advertisement The EndTime Radio

Featured

National10 hours ago

Hindu Nationalism Becomes a Growing Threat to Christians in Nepal

Nepal — Unlike Christians in the neighboring state of India, believers in Nepal have, until recently, been more protected from...

National10 hours ago

Four Catholic priests beaten, looted in Odisha

Unidentified miscreants looted a Divine Word mission in Odisha, eastern India, after attacking four priests, teachers and workers living in...

world news11 hours ago

പാക്കിസ്ഥാനിലെ പഞ്ചാബ് പ്രവിശ്യയിലെ മന്ത്രി സ്ഥാനത്തേക്ക് ക്രൈസ്തവ വിശ്വാസി

ലാഹോർ: പാക്കിസ്ഥാനിലെ പഞ്ചാബ് പ്രവിശ്യയിലെ മനുഷ്യാവകാശ മന്ത്രി സ്ഥാനത്തേക്ക് ക്രൈസ്തവ വിശ്വാസിയായ ഖലീൽ താഹിർ സിന്ധു തെരഞ്ഞെടുക്കപ്പെട്ടു. പ്രദേശത്തെ ക്രൈസ്തവര്‍ക്ക് വലിയ പ്രതീക്ഷ പകര്‍ന്നുക്കൊണ്ടാണ് കത്തോലിക്ക വിശ്വാസിയും...

us news11 hours ago

ജൂലൈ 1 മുതല്‍ ബൈബിള്‍ ടെന്നസ്സി സംസ്ഥാനത്തിന്റെ ഔദ്യോഗിക ഗ്രന്ഥം

ടെന്നസ്സി: അമേരിക്കയിലെ ഇംഗ്ലീഷ് ഭാഷയിലുള്ള ബൈബിൾ ജൂലൈ 1 മുതല്‍ ടെന്നസ്സി സംസ്ഥാനത്തിന്റെ ഔദ്യോഗിക ഗ്രന്ഥമായി അറിയപ്പെടും. ഇക്കഴിഞ്ഞ ചൊവ്വാഴ്ച റിപ്പബ്ലിക്കൻ ഗവർണർ ബിൽ ലീ ബില്ലിൽ...

world news11 hours ago

ഫ്രാൻസിസ് മാർപാപ്പയുടെ പൊതു സദസ്സിലേക്ക് ആയുധവുമായി പ്രവേശിക്കാൻ ശ്രമിച്ച ഒരാളെ അറസ്റ്റ് ചെയ്തു

ഫ്രാൻസിസ് പാപ്പയുടെ പൊതു സദസിൽ ആയുധങ്ങളുമായി കടന്നു കയറൻ ശ്രമിച്ച വ്യക്തിയെ ഇറ്റാലിയൻ പോലീസ് അറസ്റ്റ് ചെയ്തു. ന്യൂയോർക്കിലെ പിടികിട്ടാപ്പുള്ളികളിൽ ഒരാളായ മോയ്‌സെസ് തേജഡയെ ആണ് പോലീസ്...

National1 day ago

ഐപിസി ഡൽഹി സ്റ്റേറ്റിന് പുതിയ ഭരണ സമിതി

ഐപിസി ഡൽഹി സ്റ്റേറ്റ് 2024-2028 പ്രവർത്തന വർഷത്തേക്ക് പുതിയ ഭരണ സമിതിയെ തിരഞ്ഞെടുത്തു. 2024 ഏപ്രിൽ 13 ന് രാവിലെ 9 മണി മുതൽ ഡൽഹി രാജ്...

Trending