Connect with us
Slider

us news

Riot in Kenosha, two killed in shooting, one seriously injured; Blake’s surgery is over

Published

on

Following the police shooting of African-American Jacob Blake, at least two people were killed and one injured after shots were fired at the protest site in Kenosha, Wisconsin late Tuesday after the third consecutive night of protests.

The gunmen opened fire at about 11:45 pm, Kenosha police’s Public Information Officer, Lt. Joseph Nosalik, said in a news release, according to an AP report. The injured person sustained serious but not life threatening injuries and is undergoing treatment at a local hospital, Nosalik added. The incident is currently being investigated.

Neither the victims, nor the shooters have been identified as yet. Local media reports claim that the shooting occurred during a violent standoff between protesters and armed gunmen, who were guarding a gas station.

The protests began hours after Blake was shot by the police on Sunday. A huge mob of angry demonstrators marched towards the Kenosha police headquarters, setting cars ablaze, smashing windows and clashing with officers dressed in riot gear.

Blake is currently undergoing treatment after being shot by police at least seven times earlier this week. While the details of the incident are vague, footage of the incident shows the 29-year-old African American leaning into a car, before an officer grabbed him by the shirt and opened fire. All seven shots can be heard in the video, along with the screams of his three young children, who were seated in the car at the time, BBC reported.

Police claim that the incident occurred when they had arrived at the site after receiving a complaint about a domestic issue. Blake’s lawyers have said that he was trying to “de-escalate a domestic incident” when the police intervened and later shot him.

The seven bullets severed Blake’s spinal cord and shattered his vertebrae, leaving him paralysed, according to his family attorney Ben Crump. The 29-year-old was undergoing surgery, but it would “take a miracle for Blake to walk again, Crump said on Tuesday during a press release, AP reported.

Due to the bullet wounds, Blake also had holes in his stomach, an arm injury, and damage to his kidney and liver, BBC reported. Tremendous damage was also caused to his colon and small intestine, due to which the vital internal organs had to be removed, his lawyers said.

“His family believe in miracles, but the medical diagnosis right now is that he is paralysed and, because those bullets severed his spinal cord and shattered some of his vertebrae, it is going to take a miracle for Jacob Blake Jr to ever walk again,” Crump told reporters on Tuesday.

While it is still unclear who incited the violence near the intersection on 63rd Street and Sheridan in Kenosha, where two people were fatally shot and one was severely injured, several videos shared online show a group of Black Lives Matter protesters running after a man carrying a gun, the Guardian reported.

“He just shot somebody,” protesters are heard calling out in the videos. The man was allegedly part of a gun toting group that had positioned itself near a gas station. Kenosha County Sheriff David Beth told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that the police had reviewed the video footage and would soon arrest at least one person, believed to be involved in the shooting.

“I feel very confident we’ll have him in a very short time,” he said.

After businesses were vandalised and buildings were set ablaze in a second day of protests after Blake was shot by police, Wisconsin Governor Tony Evers declared a state of emergency, adding that he would deploy more state National Guard troops to contain the violence, Reuters reported.

Evers said that he would scale up the number of Wisconsin National Guard soldiers from 100 to 250. His announcement came as several officials called for peace in the city of Kenosha after a night of sustained violence.

“We cannot allow the cycle of systemic racism and injustice to continue,” Evers said, according to a Bloomberg report. “We also cannot continue going down this path of damage and destruction.”

Jacob Blake included the opening prayer at the very beginning of the second night of the Republican National Convention 2020, included a line about Jacob Blake. During the opening prayer, delivered by Reverend Norma Urrabazo, viewers were invited to pray for Jacob Blake’s recovery as well as for police officers working towards restoring order on the streets of Kenosha, Wisconsin.

Urrabazo prayed for the “spirit of peace to come over hurting communities in Wisconsin tonight. We pray for healing and comfort to Jacob Blake and his family,” news reported.

Members of Blake’s family called for justice but also condemned the violence that had broken out in the city of Kenosha in the last three days, the news reported.

“As I was riding through this city, I noticed a lot of damage. It does not reflect my son or my family. If Jacob knew what was going on as far as … the violence and destruction, he would be very unpleased,” Blakes’ mother Julia Jackson said.

Blakes’ father was inconsolable while he described the trauma faced by his three young grandchildren, who were made to watch as their father was shot by the police. “They shot my son at least seven times like he doesn’t matter. But my son matters. He is a human being and he matters,” he said.

us news

ഭൂകമ്പം ഫിജിയെ പിടിച്ചുകുലുക്കി, റിക്ടർ സ്കെയിലിൽ 6.0 രേഖപ്പെടുത്തിയ ഭൂചലനം

Published

on

സുവ: ദ്വീപ് രാജ്യമായ ഫിജിയിൽ ഭൂചലനം. റിക്ടർ സ്‌കെയിലിൽ 6.0 തീവ്രത രേഖപ്പെടുത്തിയ ഭൂചലനത്തിൽ നാശനഷ്ടങ്ങൾ ഉണ്ടായതായി റിപ്പോർട്ടില്ല. 398 കിലോമീറ്റർ ആഴത്തിൽ പ്രകമ്പനം അനുഭവപ്പെട്ടതായി യുഎസ് ഭൗമശാസ്ത്ര കേന്ദ്രം അറിയിച്ചു. ലെവൂക്ക നഗരത്തിന് 340 കിലോമീറ്റർ കിഴക്ക് മാറിയായിരുന്നു പ്രകമ്പനം. പ്രാദേശിക സമയം രാവിലെ 11.35 ഓടെയായിരുന്നു ഭൂചലനം അനുഭവപ്പെട്ടത്. സുനാമി മുന്നറിയിപ്പുകളൊന്നും നൽകിയിട്ടില്ലെന്ന് അധികൃതർ അറിയിച്ചു. ഭൂചലനം ഉണ്ടായ വിവരം ജർമ്മൻ ജിയോസയൻസ് റിസർച്ച് സെന്ററും സ്ഥിരീകരിച്ചിട്ടുണ്ട്.

Continue Reading

us news

Archaeologists discover rare 2,000-y-o oil lamp in Jerusalem’s City of David on Pilgrimage Road

Published

on

The Israel Antiquities Authority announced the discovery of a rare oil lamp, with its wick still preserved, from under the foundation of a building erected on Jerusalem’s famed Pilgrimage Road soon after the destruction of the Second Temple almost 2,000 years ago.

The IAA researchers believe the bronze lamp, shaped like a grotesque face cut in half and estimated to be from the late first century or the early second century CE, was put in the foundation of the building in Jerusalem’s City of David for good fortune, The Times of Israel reported.

“This half of a lamp, and in fact half a face, which was discovered in the City of David, is a very rare object, with only a few discovered in the whole world, and is the first of its kind to be discovered in Jerusalem,” Yuval Baruch of the IAA was quoted as saying.

“It is possible that the importance of the building, and the need to bless its activity with luck by burying a foundation deposit, was due to its proximity to the Siloam Pool, which was also used in the Roman period as the central source of water within the city,” IAA archaeologist Ari Levy told The Jerusalem Post.

Speaking to Haaretz, Levy explained, “Foundation deposits, in general, go back to the dim reaches of antiquity. It was accepted in construction in general, to bring luck and symbolic defense of the building — and to cast fear and awe on attackers. Its significance was highly symbolic, not functional.”

Haaretz said the lamp featured a goaty male half-face complete with (half a) satyr’s beard and a horned forehead.

Only one other such lamp has ever been found in an archaeological context — and that was in Budapest, according to Levy.

Experts believe that Pilgrimage Road, where the building had been erected, is the path ancient Jews walked to reach the Temple Mount three times a year — in the festivals of Passover, Shavuot and Sukkot.

“The street was built during the period of Governor Pontius Pilates,” Levy said. “It was inaugurated around the year 30 CE and it was used for about 40 years until the Temple was destroyed in 70 CE.”

Baruch added: “Decorated bronze oil lamps were discovered throughout the Roman Empire. For the most part, such oil lamps stood on stylish candelabras or were hung on a chain. Collections around the world contain thousands of these bronze lamps, many of which were made in intricate shapes, indicating the artistic freedom that Roman metal artists possessed.”
Sources:Christian Post

Continue Reading

Subscribe

Enter your email address

Featured

Media16 hours ago

അൽ-അക്സാ പള്ളി അക്രമത്തില്‍ ഇസ്രയേലിന് ഹമാസിന്‍റെ മുന്നറിയിപ്പ്

റംസാന്‍ മാസത്തിലെ അവസാനത്തെ വെള്ളിയാഴ്ച വിശുദ്ധഭൂമിയില്‍ ഇസ്രയേല്‍‌ നടത്തിയ അക്രമത്തിനെതിരെ ലോക സമൂഹം ഒറ്റക്കെട്ടായി പ്രതിഷേധിച്ചു. ഇസ്ലാം മതത്തെ സംബന്ധിച്ച് മൂന്നാമത്തെ ഏറ്റവും വിശുദ്ധ സ്ഥലമാണ് അൽ-അക്സാ...

us news19 hours ago

ഭൂകമ്പം ഫിജിയെ പിടിച്ചുകുലുക്കി, റിക്ടർ സ്കെയിലിൽ 6.0 രേഖപ്പെടുത്തിയ ഭൂചലനം

സുവ: ദ്വീപ് രാജ്യമായ ഫിജിയിൽ ഭൂചലനം. റിക്ടർ സ്‌കെയിലിൽ 6.0 തീവ്രത രേഖപ്പെടുത്തിയ ഭൂചലനത്തിൽ നാശനഷ്ടങ്ങൾ ഉണ്ടായതായി റിപ്പോർട്ടില്ല. 398 കിലോമീറ്റർ ആഴത്തിൽ പ്രകമ്പനം അനുഭവപ്പെട്ടതായി യുഎസ്...

us news19 hours ago

Archaeologists discover rare 2,000-y-o oil lamp in Jerusalem’s City of David on Pilgrimage Road

The Israel Antiquities Authority announced the discovery of a rare oil lamp, with its wick still preserved, from under the...

us news20 hours ago

Christians are an integral part of the Holy Land: Palestinian Foreign Minister Riyadh Maliki

Rome – When you say that Palestine is the Holy Land, “you cannot talk about the Holy land without Christians”,...

Media20 hours ago

Anti-Conversion Law Cripples Another Family in Madhya Pradesh

India – On April 4, 2021, Madhya Pradesh police sheltered a pastor and his family from a murderous mob of...

us news20 hours ago

Sinopharm: Chinese Covid vaccine gets WHO emergency approval

The World Health Organization announced on Friday it had approved a Covid-19 vaccine from China’s state-owned drugmaker Sinopharm for emergency...

Trending