Connect with us
Slider

us news

Attempt to kidnap Michigan governor foiled, 13 arrested

Published

on

Washington :13 people were charged Thursday in an alleged domestic terrorism plot to kidnap Michigan Democratic Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, federal and state officials announced.

The alleged scheme included plans to overthrow several state governments that the suspects “believe are violating the US Constitution,” including the government of Michigan and Whitmer, according to a federal criminal complaint.

Six people were charged federally with conspiracy to kidnap, and seven other people, associated with the militia group “Wolverine Watchmen,” were charged by the state, Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel announced.

“The individuals in state custody are suspected to have attempted to identify the home addresses of law enforcement officers in order to target them, made threats of violence intended to instigate a civil war, and engaged in planning and training for an operation to attack the capitol building of Michigan and to kidnap government officials, including the governor of Michigan,” Nessel said at a press conference.

The arrests are likely to draw additional attention to the political tensions roiling the nation in the closing weeks of the 2020 election season, and underline warnings from law enforcement officials, members of Congress and groups that track extremism about the increasing threat of extremist and far-right groups. Whitmer at times has been the focus of extreme vitriol from far-right groups over her handling of the coronavirus pandemic.

“This is unlike anything we have seen before. The brave men and women of these two police organizations put their lives on the line to keep me and my family safe,” she said. “I’m incredibly grateful and humbled by the work they do.”

In televised remarks Thursday afternoon, Whitmer said she “knew this job would be hard, but I’ll be honest, I never could’ve imagined anything like this.” She specifically blamed President Donald Trump, who has repeatedly declined to condemn far-right groups.

“Just last week, the President of the United States stood before the American people and refused to condemn white supremacists and hate groups like these two Michigan militia groups,” she said. “‘Stand back and stand by,’ he told them. ‘Stand back and stand by.’ Hate groups heard the President’s words not as a rebuke, but as a rallying cry, as a call to action. When our leaders speak, their words matter. They carry weight.”

In response, White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany said Whitmer is “sowing division.”

“President Trump has continually condemned white supremacists and all forms of hate,” McEnany said. “Governor Whitmer is sowing division by making these outlandish allegations. America stands united against hate and in support of our federal law enforcement who stopped this plot.”

The six charged by the federal government are Michigan residents Adam Fox, 37, Ty Garbin, 24, Kaleb Franks, 26, Daniel Harris, 23, Brandon Caserta, 32, and Delaware resident Barry Croft, 44.

The seven people charged by the state are Paul Bellar, 21, Shawn Fix, 38, Eric Molitor, 36, Michael Null, 38, William Null, 38, Pete Musico, 42, Joseph Morrison, 42. They face a variety of firearm and terror charges.

us news

The U.S. has blacklisted nine Chinese companies, including smartphone maker Xiaomi

Published

on

Hong Kong — The U.S. government has blacklisted Chinese smartphone maker Xiaomi Corp. and China’s third-largest national oil company for alleged military links, heaping pressure on Beijing in President Donald Trump’s last week in office.

The Department of Defence added nine companies to its list of Chinese companies with military links, including Xiaomi and state-owned plane manufacturer Commercial Aircraft Corp. of China .

U.S. investors will have to divest their stakes in Chinese companies on the military list by November this year, according to an executive order signed by Trump in November.

Xiaomi did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Xiaomi Corp. overtook Apple Inc. as the world’s No. 3 smartphone maker by sales in the third quarter of 2020, according to data by Gartner. Xiaomi’s market share has grown as Huawei’s sales have suffered after it was blacklisted by the U.S. and its smartphones were cut off from essential services from Google.

Separately, the Commerce Department put China National Offshore Oil Corp. (CNOOC) on the entity list, an economic blacklist that forbids U.S. firms from exporting or transferring technology with the companies named unless permission has been obtained from the U.S. government. The move comes after about 60 Chinese companies were added to the list in December, including drone maker DJI and semiconductor firm SMIC.

CNOOC has been involved in offshore drilling in the disputed waters South China Sea, where Beijing has overlapping territorial claims with other countries including Vietnam, the Philippines, Brunei, Taiwan, and Malaysia.

“China’s reckless and belligerent actions in the South China Sea and its aggressive push to acquire sensitive intellectual property and technology for its militarization efforts are a threat to U.S. national security and the security of the international community,” U.S. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross said in a statement.

“CNOOC acts as a bully for the People’s Liberation Army to intimidate China’s neighbours, and the Chinese military continues to benefit from government civil-military fusion policies for malign purposes,” Ross said.

Chinese state-owned company Skyrizon was also added to the economic blacklist, for its push to “acquire and indigenize foreign military technologies,” Ross said.

Beijing Skyrizon Aviation, founded by tycoon Wang Jing, drew U.S. criticism for an attempt to take over Ukraine’s military aircraft engine maker Motor Sich in 2017. The concern was that advanced aerospace technology would end up being used for military purposes.

Continue Reading

us news

Nigerian Bishops call on President Muhammadu Buhari to hear the cries of Christians

Published

on

 

At the funeral of the Most Revd. Gregory Ochiaga, Emeritus Bishop of Orlu Diocese, who died on 29th December, the President of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of Nigeria, Archbishop Augustine Akubeze called on President Muhammadu Buhari to heed the call of religious leaders and deal with the growing violence in the West African country.

“We join our yokes to many courageous religious leaders, Catholics, and non-Catholics who have spoken out against government performance in the area of insecurity in Nigeria.

“There is no religious leader who will want the Government to fail, neither is there any genuine religious leader who truly feels the pain of their people will keep quiet when the life and property of the people are not secured.

“The Government should listen to the cries of Nigerians and take Nigerians seriously when we cry for a secured life, when we ask for a good opportunity for every Nigerians, and when we ask for the inclusion of every part of the country in the governance of Nigeria and not just a minimalistic approach to fulfilling constitutional quotas of representation.

“As we speak and constructively criticise the Federal Government, we assure the Government of our prayers and collaboration in seeking to build a nation where justice and peace reign. Where prosperity for everyone is achieved,” he said.

“We know that the level of insecurity in the country has reached an all-time high. The Nigerian people are no longer safe. “On a day-to-day basis, Nigerians are killed or maimed by bandits, cattle rustlers, Boko haram [responsible for the death of an estimated 1700 Nigerians in the first half of 2019 alone], herdsmen, kidnappers and various criminal elements that our security agents have not been able to deal with.”

President Buhari, who came to power on a mandate of strengthening Nigeria’s security forces and ending the endemic insurgency in 2015, has made much of these commitments during his re-election in 2019. As public trust in the government continues to decline, there is little to comfort the country’s embattled people.

Continue Reading

Subscribe

Enter your email address

Featured

Media18 hours ago

വരയുടെ വർണ്ണങ്ങൾ തീർത്ത് കൊറോണകാലത്തു പാസ്റ്റർ ഡേവിഡ് കെ.എ (ജയ്മോൻ) ശ്രദ്ധേയനായി

  വെള്ളാപ്പള്ളി: വരയുടെ വർണ്ണങ്ങൾ തീർത്ത് കൊറോണകാലത്തു പാസ്റ്റർ ഡേവിഡ് കെ.എ (ജയ്മോൻ) ശ്രദ്ധേയനായി. ചുവരെഴുത്തുകളും വരകളുമായി ദൈവം നൽകിയ കഴിവുകൾ സമൂഹത്തിനു മുമ്പിൽ അവതരിപ്പിച്ചിരിക്കുകയാണ് ചർച്ച്‌...

Media19 hours ago

ഐ പി സി ചെന്നൈ മെട്രോ സെന്റര്‍ വാര്‍ഷിക കണ്‍വന്‍ഷന്‍ ഫെബ്രുവരി 5 ന്

ചെന്നൈ: ഐപിസി ചെന്നൈ മെട്രോ ഡിസ്ട്രിക്ടിന്റെ 23 മത് വാര്‍ഷിക കണ്‍വന്‍ഷന്‍ ഫെബ്രുവരി 5,6,7 തിയതികളില്‍ നടക്കും. ഡിസ്ട്രിക്ട് പാസ്റ്റര്‍ രാജു എം ചെറിയാന്‍ ഉദ്ഘാടനം നിര്‍വഹിക്കും....

Media19 hours ago

പ്രവാസികള്‍ക്കുള്ള ഏകോപിത തൊഴില്‍ പദ്ധതിക്ക് 100 കോടി; പ്രവാസി പെന്‍ഷന്‍ 3500 രൂപയാക്കി

തിരുവനന്തപുരം: തൊഴിൽ നഷ്ടപ്പെടുന്ന പ്രവാസികൾക്ക് ഏകോപിത പ്രവാസി തൊഴിൽ പദ്ധതി പ്രഖ്യാപിച്ച് കേരള ബജറ്റ്. പദ്ധതിക്കുവേണ്ടി 100 കോടി രൂപ വകയിരുത്തുമെന്ന് മന്ത്രി തോമസ് ഐസക് പറഞ്ഞു....

us news20 hours ago

The U.S. has blacklisted nine Chinese companies, including smartphone maker Xiaomi

Hong Kong — The U.S. government has blacklisted Chinese smartphone maker Xiaomi Corp. and China’s third-largest national oil company for...

us news20 hours ago

Nigerian Bishops call on President Muhammadu Buhari to hear the cries of Christians

  At the funeral of the Most Revd. Gregory Ochiaga, Emeritus Bishop of Orlu Diocese, who died on 29th December,...

us news2 days ago

Earthquake in Indonesia; Seven killed, several injured

Jakarta: A 6.2-magnitude earthquake on Indonesia’s Sulawesi island killed at least seven people and injured hundreds on Friday, the country’s...

Trending